Tuesday, October 15, 2002
Where are they now: a statistical analysis
So my dad called me at work this afternoon to tell me that my grade-school friend Amanda Littlejohn just got engaged to another of our grade-school friends, Kyle. (I'm not sure why my dad found this so pressing, other than he was bored and wanted an excuse to call me at work.) Anyway, this is so cute because Amanda and Kyle used to "go together" in sixth grade, around the time that I was also nursing a major crush on him. (We wrote each other heartfelt letters about this, ultimately deciding that since we had been friends since kindergarten, we couldn't let Kyle come between us. Ah, we were such mature 11-year-olds.)
At any rate, this news has led me to come up with the following slightly humorous, slightly depressing analysis of where all of my various crushes have ended up.
Number of former crushes who are now engaged, married and/or separated: 6 (alarmingly high number)
Number of former crushes who are now gay: 1 (see yesterday's entry)
Number of former crushes who seemed like they might be gay at the time I had the crush on them: 1
Number of former crushes who were rumored to be gay but now are rumored to be womanizers, leading me to believe that they might be trying to compensate for the first rumor: 1
Number of former crushes who work for the Department of Energy: 1
Number of former crushes in other countries: 4
Number of former crushes I may or may not have seen riding by in a horse-drawn carriage in Savannah last month: 1
Number of former crushes about whom I do not know marital status, sexual orientation or whereabouts and could frankly not care less: around 30, I would guess
So my dad called me at work this afternoon to tell me that my grade-school friend Amanda Littlejohn just got engaged to another of our grade-school friends, Kyle. (I'm not sure why my dad found this so pressing, other than he was bored and wanted an excuse to call me at work.) Anyway, this is so cute because Amanda and Kyle used to "go together" in sixth grade, around the time that I was also nursing a major crush on him. (We wrote each other heartfelt letters about this, ultimately deciding that since we had been friends since kindergarten, we couldn't let Kyle come between us. Ah, we were such mature 11-year-olds.)
At any rate, this news has led me to come up with the following slightly humorous, slightly depressing analysis of where all of my various crushes have ended up.
Number of former crushes who are now engaged, married and/or separated: 6 (alarmingly high number)
Number of former crushes who are now gay: 1 (see yesterday's entry)
Number of former crushes who seemed like they might be gay at the time I had the crush on them: 1
Number of former crushes who were rumored to be gay but now are rumored to be womanizers, leading me to believe that they might be trying to compensate for the first rumor: 1
Number of former crushes who work for the Department of Energy: 1
Number of former crushes in other countries: 4
Number of former crushes I may or may not have seen riding by in a horse-drawn carriage in Savannah last month: 1
Number of former crushes about whom I do not know marital status, sexual orientation or whereabouts and could frankly not care less: around 30, I would guess
Subscribe to Posts [Atom]